about hair

About Hair

Hair grows from a follicle which is a pocket in the skin in the dermis under the scalp. It grows approximately 0.92 cm to 1.25cm a month. There are approximately 100 000 follicles in the scalp. Each hair contains blood supply, nerve endings, and a combination of cellular activity. Each follicle can produce 20 individual hairs in a person’s life time. Hair is the one of fastest cell produced in the body. It can stretch 1.5 times its own length and it is the strongest natural fibre there is. Hair is made up of an insoluble mixture of proteins, called keratin. The colour, texture and density are all inherited factors.

Hair grows in 3 cycles: Anagen, Catagen, Telogen and each strand of hair on the human body is at its own stage of development. Anagen stage can last from two to six years depending on the genetic origin of hair (Asian, Caucasian etc.) and it is the stage where the hair grows. Catagen stage lasts between two to three weeks, the hair follicle shrinks due to disintegration and the papilla detaches and “rests,” cutting the hair strand off from its nourishing blood supply. Telogen (resting) stage can last for one to four months and its where the follicle remains dormant.

Hair growth cycle

Approximately 90% of scalp hairs are in the anagen phase, growing actively. Remaining 10% is either in the catagen or telogen phase.

Most people shed between 50 to 100 hairs per day. If you are losing more hairs than you are growing, you are getting thinner.
There are various reasons for hair loss, genetic, medical conditions, emotional and physical stress, age related, nutritional, excessive hair styling and harsh hair styling products and medications to mention few.


About company

We at Mark Birch commit ourselves for sustainable business approach, transparency, quality and professionalism in every single product we create and design and in any aspects of our clinical work.

our products

The Mark Birch extensive line of products, reconditioning and restoration formulas work to treat the cause of degenerative hair condition problems rather than the symptoms.

Hair & Scalp Care

Today’s hectic lifestyle can impact our hair and scalp health by many different factors: lifestyle, work, stress, pollution, poor diet, lack of exercise, following a bad hair care regime by using junk hair cosmetics just to mention a few.